Hi, I'm Kee Man, and Chuah is my surname. I'm currently a senior lecturer at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak. I am passionate about educational technology, e-learning and the science of learning. My primary skills are related to learning design and development, virtual reality, web and app development, computational linguistics and communication.
What I do
Feel free to explore my portfolio for specific details.
Employment and Appointment
2020 - PresentUniversiti Malaysia Sarawak
Teaching courses at the Faculty of Language and Communication and the Faculty of Cognitive Sciences and Human Development.
2019 - 2020Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Deputy Director (Teaching Excellence)
At Centre for Applied Learning and Multimedia.
Coordinated and managed programmes and activities related to teaching excellence among academics, as well as promoting scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL)
2015 - 2018Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
At Centre for Applied Learning and Multimedia.
Coordinated the blended learning and e-learning implementation at UNIMAS. Headed the design and development team of Massive Open Online Courses offered by UNIMAS.
2014 - 2015Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Coordinator (Lifelong Learning Unit)
At Academic Development and Management Division
Coordinated lifelong learning programmes at UNIMAS and facilitated faculties in organising lifelong learning programmes.
2010 - 2019Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Affiliated to the Faculty of Language and Communication
2020 - PresentUniversiti Sains Malaysia
PhD Candidate (Educational Technology)
Specialising in design and development of connected learning application for teaching and learning.
2011 - 2013Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Postgraduate Diploma (Teaching & Learning)
A specialised programme on teaching and learning in higher education. Graduated with distinction.
2008 - 2010Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Master of Science (Cognitive Science)
Full-time research mode in the area of learning sciences. Thesis is related to learning design for novice learners using virtual reality. Graduated with good outputs in journals including SCOPUS-indexed articles.
2003 - 2007Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Bachelor of Science (Teaching of English as a Second Language)
Major in the teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL) with strong interest in computer-assisted language learning (CALL). Graduated with an excellent CGPA.
Specialization and Expertise
Teaching of English as a Second Language
Design Thinking/Design Sprint
Science of Learning
Mobile App Development
User Interface/User Experience Design
Note: The percentage is an estimated of expertise level based on experience and number of projects implemented.
- responsive to adversity and diversity
- team player
- keen learner
Licenses and Certifications
Throughout my career, I am grateful for the opportunities given in showcasing my innovations and commitment in teaching and research. I am also equally thankful to the recognitions given.
Teaching and Learning Awards/Honours
Research and Innovation Awards/Honours
Note: I am the main researcher or principal investigator for the projects unless stated otherwise.
Ever since I chose to step into the world of teaching, I continue to the uphold the my personal principle of 3Ps: passion, patience and perseverance. I also a stern believer of “everyone can learn, just not in the same way or on the day“. It is due to this philosophy that I always adopt concepts of connected learning and personalised learning not only in my practices but also in designing activities and materials for learning. I believe learner variability should be given priority in any learning design so that they can truly develop their capacity.
I believe that quality teaching is based upon the learning outcomes of the students, which are not only in terms of increasing their mastery of knowledge and skills but also to enable them in obtaining excellent learning experiences that are everlasting. This process is supported by teaching and learning techniques that are innovative, creative and student-friendly so as to ensure they can apply the knowledge and skills taught besides enculturating lifelong learning practices.
Generic and Remedial Courses
- Academic English 1
- Academic English 2
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Preparatory English 1
- Preparatory English 2
- English for Social Purposes
- English in Media
- English for Self-Expression
- Effective Communication Skills
- ICT Competency
BA Linguistics (Hons) – FLC
- Linguistics Communication
- Language and Computing (Computational Lingusitics)
MSc (Learning Sciences) – FCSHD
- Seminar in Learning Sciences
- Design of Learning Environments
- Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
Apart from working on my research, I am also actively contributing in research initiated by colleagues and other researchers. Here’s a list of funded research that I am involved in.
List of Recent Publications
- Adams, D., & Chuah, K. M. (Eds.)(2022). E-Learning: Global perspectives, challenges and educational implications. New York, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Chuah, K.M., Chen, C.J., & Teh, C.S. (2011). Emotional affordances in virtual reality-based learning environments: Theoretical and practical considerations. Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing
- Chuah, K. M., & Fitri Suraya Mohamad. (2021). Gamification in a Blended Learning Environment: The Mojo of ClassDojo. In D. Adams & D. DeWitt (Eds.), Innovative Practices of Technology-Enhanced Learning (pp. 115-132). Tanjung Malim: Penerbit Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris.
- Chuah, K. M., Abdullah, A., Hossain, E. D., Ang, T. C., & Senin, N. (2019). The Malaysia MOOC Initiative: The Universiti Malaysia Sarawak experience. In M. Ally, M. A. Embi, & H. Norman (Eds.), The impact of MOOCs on distance education in Malaysia and beyond (pp. 135-144). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Chuah, K. M. (2015). iTeaching for uLearning: Interactive teaching tools for ubiquitous learning in higher education. In Mohamed Amin Embi (Ed), E-learning and interactive lecture: SOTL case studies in Malaysian HEIs (pp. 89-97). Bangi: Ministry of Education.
- Chuah, K. M., & Hong, K. S. (2014). Morpheus UNIMAS: Strengthening student engagement in blended learning environments. In Mohamed Amin Embi (Ed), Blended & Flipped Learning: Case Studies in Malaysian HEIs (pp. 121-132). Bangi: Ministry of Education.
- Chuah, K. M., Chen, C. J., & Teh, C. S. (2009). ViSTREET: An educational virtual environment for the teaching of road safety skills to school children. In H. B. Zaman, P. Robinson, M. Petrou, P. Oliver, H. Schröder, & T. K. Shih (Eds.), Visual informatics: Bridging research and practice (pp. 392-493). Berlin: Springer.
- Chen, C. J., Chuah, K. M., & Teh, C. S. (2010). Bridging the emotional divide in instructional design: A Kansei perspective. In M. Iskander, V. Kapila, M. A. Karim (Eds.), Technological developments in education and automation (pp. 173-177). Netherlands: Springer.
Refereed & Indexed Journal Articles
- Adams, D., Chuah, K. M., Mohamed, A., Sumintono, B., Moosa, V., & Shareefa, M. (2021). Bricks to clicks: Students’ engagement in e-learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. Asia Pacific Journal of Educators and Education, 36(2), 99–117. https://doi.org/10.21315/apjee2021.36.2.6 – SCOPUS
- Chuah, K. M., & Niniefadzillea Iswandi. (2021). Hantaran Bahasa Melayu yang Tular di Facebook: Analisis dari Aspek Kandungan dan Atribut Linguistik. Jurnal Bahasa, 21(2), 217-240. [Read Here]
- Chuah, K. M., & Kabilan, M. K. (2021). Teachers’ Views on The Use of Chatbots to Support English Language Teaching in a Mobile Environment. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 16(20), 223-237. – SCOPUS [Read Here]
- Ting, S. H., Chuah, K. M., Jerome, C., & Johnson, A. (2021). Spotlight on LGBT in Malaysian Online Newspapers: Insights from Textual Analytics. The EDP Audit, Control, and Security Newsletter, 64, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/07366981.2021.1958733 – SCOPUS
- Adams, D., Chuah, K. M., Sumintono, B., & Mohamed, A. (2021). Students’ readiness for e-learning during the COVID-19 pandemic in a South-East Asian university: A Rasch analysis. Asian Education and Development Studies, 10(3), 1-16. – SCOPUS [Read Here]
- Othman, N. R., & Chuah, K.M. (2021). The relationship between English language fluency and Learning Engagement: A Case Study among First-Year Undergraduates. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, 10(2), 150–162. – ERA [Read Here]
- Rethinasamy, S., Ramanair, J., & Chuah, K. M. (2021). English medium instruction at crossroads: Students’ voice and way forward. International Journal of Academic Research in Business & Social Science, 11(14), 109-123. – ERA [Read Here]
- Chuah, K. M., & Mohamad, F. (2020). Emergency Remote Teaching Scenarios, Struggles and Soundboxes: A Case Study on Malaysian Teachers. Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal, 46(1), 13-28. – SCOPUS [Read Here]
- Ting, S. H., Thanaraj M., & Chuah, K. M. (2020). Framing of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB)financial scandal: Politicising by mainstream and alternative newspapers before and after change of government. SEARCH Journal of Media and Communication Research, 12(2), 91-110. – SCOPUS
- Chuah, K. M., Yumni Musfirah Kahar, & Ch’ng, L. C. (2020). We “meme” business: Exploring Malaysian youths’ interpretation of Internet memes in social media marketing. International Journal of Business and Society, 22(2), 933-946 – SCOPUS
- John, D. S., Chuah, K. M., & Yusuf, K. M. (2020). Challenged-based Assessments in a Gamified Learning Environment: A Case Study on Linguistics Students. Journal of Critical Reviews, 7(16), 710-716. – SCOPUS
- Fung, K. T. M., Chuah, K.-M., & Ting, S.-H. (2020). Gender Differences in Computer-Mediated Communication: A Case Study on Malaysian Millennials. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 8(3), 426-433. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2020.8346 – SCOPUS
- Nazman N., Chuah, K. M., & Ting, S. H. (2020). Tryna b Kewl: Textual Analytics of Distorted Words among Malaysian Millennials on Twitter. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), 9(3), 3522-3526. – SCOPUS
- Mohamad Deli, R., Chuah, K. M., & Razali, N. T. (2019). A corpus-based analysis of lexical verbs in L2 professional engineering writing. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 9(8), 461-472. – ERA
- Pariyar A., Kulathuramaiyer N., Abdullah J., & Chuah, K. M. (2019). Contextualizing Learning for Rural Community using Library-in-a-Box: Experience from Penan Community. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), 8(8) – SCOPUS
- Kho, H, Z., Chew, K.S., Muhaimin Noor Azhar, Mohd Lotfi Hamzah, Chuah, K. M., Aida Bustam, & Chan, H. C. (2018). Implementing blended learning in emergency airway management training: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Emergency Medicine, 18(1), 1-10 – WoS, SCOPUS
- Ch’ng, L. C., Ting, H. L., & Chuah, K. M. (2018). Common Stroke Mistakes in Chinese Character Writing Among Business Administrative Students. Academic Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 2, 1-10.
- Tasnim Mohd Taib, Chuah, K. M., & Norazila Abd Aziz (2017). Understanding Pedagogical Approaches Of UNIMAS MOOCs In Encouraging Globalised Learning Community. International Journal of Business and Society, 18(S7). – SCOPUS
- Chen, C. J., Wong, V. S., Teh, C. S., & Chuah, K. M. (2017). MOOC Videos-Derived Emotions. Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering, 9(2-9), 137-140. – SCOPUS
- Chen, C. J., Keong, M.W.Y., Teh, C.S., & Chuah, K. M. (2016). Web text reading: what satisfy both dyslexic and normal learners?. Journal of Computers in Education, 3(1), 47-58. – SCOPUS
- Chen, C., Keong, M., Teh, C., & Chuah, K. M. (2015). Learners with Dyslexia: Exploring their experiences with different online reading affordances. Themes in Science and Technology Education, 8(1), 63- 79.
- Chen, C. J., Chuah, K. M., Tho, J., & Teh, C. S. (2015). Attitudinal factors affecting wiki group collaboration for English writing. The European Journal of Open, Distance and E-Learning, 18(2), 22-36. – SCOPUS
- Chen, C. J., Keong, M. W. Y., Teh C. S., & Chuah, K. M. (2015). Exploring satisfaction towards web text reading among dyslexic and normal learners. International Journal of Learning and Teaching, 1(1), 64-68.
- Ling, S. W., Imran Hazimin Othman, & Chuah, K. M. (2015). Learning programming using objects-first approach through folktales. Jurnal Teknologi, 75(3), 47-53. – SCOPUS
- Chuah, K. M. (2014). Luring the Lurkers: Increasing Participations in the Online Discussions of a Blended Learning Course. International Journal on E-Learning Practices, 1(1), 49-58.
- Chuah, K. M. (2013). Aplikasi media sosial dalam pembelajaran Bahasa Inggeris: Persepsi pelajar universiti. Issues in Language Studies, 2(1), 56-63.
- Chuah, K. M., Chen, C. J., & Teh, C. S. (2011). Designing a desktop virtual reality-based learning environment with emotional consideration. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 6(1), 25-42. – SCOPUS
- Chuah, K. M., Chen, C. J., & Teh, C. S. (2008). Incorporating Kansei Engineering in instructional design: Designing virtual reality based learning environments from a novel perspective. Themes in Science and Technology Education, 1(1), 37-48
- Rethinasamy, S. & Chuah, K. M. (2011). The Malaysian University English Test (MUET) and its use for placement purposes: A predictive validity study. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 8(2), 234–245. – SCOPUS
Selected Conference Papers (Peer-Reviewed)
- Chuah, K. M., Mohamad, F., Minoi, J., & Kabilan, M. (2021). Of Marbles and Minecraft: Designing STEM Educational Games for Culturally Diverse Young Learners in Malaysia (pp. 44-49). In Proceedings of 2021 WEEF/GEDC (pp. 44-49), Madrid.
- Chuah, K. M., & Ch’ng, L. C. (2021). The Use of Voiceover Challenges on Tiktok as ESL Speaking Activities. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Language Studies (iCLS) 2021 (pp. 121-126). Kota Samarahan: UNIMAS.
- Chuah, K. M. (2021). The use of chatbots for teaching and learning in a mobile environment: ESL teachers’ views. International Conference on E-Learning (ICOEL 2021), Penang, Malaysia.
- Fung, K. T. M., Ting, S. H., & Chuah, K. M. (2021). Millennials’ Perceptions of Gendered Language Features of Facebook Communication. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Language Studies (iCLS) 2021 (pp. 85-90). Kota Samarahan: UNIMAS.
- Nazman, N., Ting, S. H., Chuah, K. M. (2021). Social Media Users’ Reasons for Using Non-Standard Words in Twitter. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Language Studies (iCLS) 2021 (pp. 103-108). Kota Samarahan: UNIMAS.
- Dicky, M. A., & Chuah, K. M. (2019). Interactive Augmented Reality (AR)-Based Learning Cards for Lun Bawang Language. In Proceedings of International University Carnival on E-Learning 2019, Kota Samarahan: UNIMAS Publisher.
- Chuah, K. M., Radina Deli, Chen, C. J. (2017). Developing a 3D Acoustic-based Virtual Environments for the Teaching of English Vocabulary to Visually-Impaired Learners. Proceedings of UNIMAS SIlver Jubilee Conference 2017.
- Chuah, K. M. & Tasnim Mohd Taib (2017). Understanding Pedagogical Approaches of UNIMAS MOOCS in Encouraging Globalised Learning Community. Proceedings of UNIMAS Silver Jubilee Conference
- Kho, M. G. W., & Chuah, K. M. (2016). Learning Analytics of Malaysian ESL Learners’ Engagement in Online Writing Activities via Google Docs. Proceedings of MELTA International Conference, Kuala Lumpur
- Chuah, K. M. (2014). iTeaching for uLearning: The Use of Interactive Teaching Tools in Enhancing Ubiquitous Learning. Proceedings of SoLT Symposium on E-Learning and Interactive Lecture, AKEPT
- Chuah, K. M. (2014). Word’s Up with WhatsApp: The Use of Instant Messaging in Consiousness-raising of Academic Vocabulary. Proceedings of AsiaTEFL Conference, Kuching.
- Chuah, K. M. (2014, May). Reflective Inquiry in the Virtual Brainstorming of Writing Tasks: The Case of Padlet and Facebook. Paper presented at 9th international conference on Language for Specific Purpose (LSP), Kuching, Sarawak.
- Chuah, K. M., & Ch’ng, L. C. (2013, May). Tweeting the words away: Rethinking the use of Twitter in vocabulary learning. Paper presented at 22nd MELTA International Conference, Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
- Chuah, K. M. (2013, January). Thinking big on SMALL: Social Media-Assisted Language Learning. Paper presented at 33rd Thailand TESOL International Conference 2013, Khon Kaen, Thailand.
- Campbell, Y. M., Chuah, K. M., & Ting, S. H. (2012, November). Connecting the dots: Views on promoting Bidayuh language learning via e-folktales. In Proceedings of International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Culture (ICLLIC 2012), Penang, Malaysia.
- Chuah, K. M. (2012, September). Engaging the lurkers: Encouraging participation in the online discussions of an academic English course. Paper presented at The 8th International Language for Specific Purposes (LSP) Seminar, Kuala Lumpur.
Open Educational Resources (OERs)
Here are some highlights of OERs that I have shared: